David Dierauer's Resumé
Experienced software engineer with excellent communications skills seeks
new challenges in developing efficient, robust and maintainable
applications that meet and exceed user expectations.
Programming and markup languages
- Perl: OO Perl, mod_perl, HTML::Mason, CGI, data processing, screen-scraping, regular expressions
- XML, XSD, XSLT
- Familiarity with PHP, Unix shell scripting, Java, C++, C, and COBOL
- Oracle (8i, 9i, 10g), sqlplus, PL/SQL
- SQL Server
- Source control using CVS, Subversion (SVN), SVK
- Web services: SOAP, XML-RPC, WSDL
- Operating systems: Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Microsoft Windows
- Familiarity with UML, use cases, full software development life-cycle
- Some UNIX system administration skills and experience, especially with Mac OS X.
Senior Perl Developer
Liquid Web, Inc.
September 2007 - present.
Duties and accomplishments at Liquid Web:
Worked as part of a small team of programmers responsible for creating,
maintaining and improving various applications to support operations of a
fast-growing web-hosting company.
- Maintained and expanded functionality of HTML::Mason web applications
for internal billing and helpdesk systems, and customer-facing "control
- Developed a new CRM system for sales and support to use for tracking
leads and managing communications with current customers. The system needed to
be integrated with several other existing internal systems.
- Initiated and developed standards for unit testing both existing codebase
and new code.
- Authored and maintained coding standards for the development team.
- Created and maintained object-oriented perl modules,
upgrading existing codebase as appropriate to conform to best practices.
- Used ORMs Class::DBI and DBIx::Class to interact with MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
- Performed various Linux system administration and MySQL/PostgreSQL database administration tasks.
Contract Perl Developer
Grant Street Group
Pittsburgh, PA (telecommuted from Michigan)
January 2007 - August 2007.
Duties and accomplishments at Grant Street Group:
Worked as part of a team of fifteen high-caliber Perl professionals
supporting large, complex web applications such as a county tax management
system used in several counties and a bond auction site.
- Contributed to ongoing development of sophisticated leading-edge web application making heavy use of AJAX to enhance user experience.
- Supported existing auction site, adding new features as requested and communicating directly with clients about issues.
- Developed test suites to ensure correct functioning of both new
and existing code.
- Customized PHP code in Eventum issue-tracking software to suit internal project requirements.
September 2006 - January 2007.
Duties and accomplishments at CNSI:
Worked on a large project
implementing a new Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS) for the
State of Michigan. The Interfaces team is responsible for managing
inputs and outputs between flat files and the Oracle 10g backend database
using Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) software.
- Wrote PL/SQL stored procedures and developed Java Collaboration Definitions
to perform complex data translations.
- Participated in collaborative application development sessions with clients.
- Produced documentation (use cases) for the project's
Detailed System Design Document.
Software Engineer and Lead Developer
SeniorBridge Family Companies, Inc.
New York, NY (telecommuted from Michigan)
February 2006 - August 2006.
Duties and accomplishments at SeniorBridge:
Worked independently as the lead developer on the
web application responsible for managing operational
issues at a home health care company. Application functionality includes
employee scheduling and time tracking, clinical information tracking,
sales contact management, direct links to accounting data, etc.
- Improved application performance through database query optimizations
and mod_perl/Apache tuning techniques.
- Standardized and streamlined Apache configuration process for production
and development servers.
- Developed web client script to perform automated testing of application
changes on development server before making changes to production server.
- Developed and maintained multi-interface reports (HTML, PDF, Excel)
using a custom XML-based report configuration system and complex SQL and
- Participated in upgrade of the application user interface through
addition of AJAX widgets to forms, enhancing usability.
- Maintained existing Perl modules and created new modules to extend the
Software Engineer and Database Programmer
CoreComm Internet Services, Inc.
East Lansing, MI
December 2000 - February 2006.
(July 2002 - February 2006 as a Software Engineer,
December 2000 - July 2002 as a Database Programmer).
Duties and accomplishments at CoreComm:
Worked as part of a team of programmers responsible for maintaining and
improving the billing and customer care system for the subscribers of a
large regional ISP/telecomm provider.
- Supported internal web-based applications for customer service and
technical support representatives to interact with custom Oracle billing
- Developed new web-based applications that interacted with Oracle, mySQL,
and SQL Server databases: gathered requirements from users, built custom
CGI programs using Perl (using such Perl modules as DBI, CGI::Application,
- Maintained legacy Perl code, bringing it into compliance with
programming best practices (moving functionality into reusable
object-oriented modules when appropriate) while fixing bugs and enhancing
functionality as requested.
- Designed database schemata as needed to support new applications and
enhance systems functionality.
- Constructed custom reports from the billing and authentication databases
as requested: clarified user requirements, crafted complex SQL queries to
retrieve the required data, processed the data using Perl.
- Created and maintained a suite of Perl list manipulation and management
utilities to facilitate processing and transforming large data sets
(hundreds of thousands of records, both delimited and fixed-length).
- Used Web Services APIs (SOAP and XML-RPC) to
execute remote procedures and retrieve and integrate data into local
- Set up and managed Subversion source code repository, and maintained
existing CVS repositories.
National Association of College & University Food Services
East Lansing, MI
May 1999-September 2000.
Duties and accomplishments at NACUFS:
Managed and maintained the web site for a trade association.
- Converted documents from a variety of formats into HTML 4.0 and PDF
files, making extensive use of scripting with Perl to automate repetitive
- Created and edited graphics for the site using Adobe Photoshop and
other image editing software.
Library of Michigan
September 1995-August 1999.
Duties and accomplishments at the Library of Michigan:
- Provided reference service to clients both in person and over the
- Worked closely with the library publications office in writing,
designing and editing instructional and informational materials for
patrons and staff, in both print and online formats.
- Served on small committee responsible for a major redesign of the
library's web site.
- Perl training: Test Driven Development with Perl, May 2008.
- Oracle training: Introduction to Oracle and PL/SQL, February 2001.
- Coursework in Computer Science (equivalent to 2.5 years undergraduate
work), at Michigan State University and at Lansing Community College,
- MILS (Master of Information and Library Studies), University of
Michigan School of Information, Ann Arbor, MI, 1993.
- BA, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1989.
Linguistics, with high honor (3.88 GPA). Phi Beta Kappa. Phi Kappa Phi.
Alumni Distinguished Scholar (full academic scholarship).
References available upon request.